Friday, June 20, 2008

Fremantle Convenor...." I open the door.......

"I open the door and the first thing I see is an old person I care for. They look at me and all they want is a smile. And I wonder, can I afford a smile or shall I keep worrying about my bills?” (Lango Gamanga Fremantle Convenor).
Conference has been an eye opener for me. It has been very supportive. The conference brings together UNISON members from all different backgrounds (Health, Local Government, Higher Education etc). I shared with them the experience we have with our employer, Fremantle Trust and they empathise and are willing to support our campaign. We have support from the President and General Secretary of our union and I asked them all to support our campaign to get back our terms and conditions; to put back a smile on the faces of Fremantle workers to we can put back a smile on our residents’ faces – the vulnerable older adults we work with. Each time I shared our experience we had a standing ovation and donations of money. We have had delegates from all over the country pledging financial support and making requests for speakers. Do not hesitate to contact our branch with your own financial difficulties.
Times have been very difficult for us let’s continue the fight for better working conditions and know we have the support nationally of 1,000s of UNISON members.






Lango Gamanga

No comments: